What can I do if my laptop battery is not charging?
If your computer is not charging when the Magsafe Adapter is in the computer, or your laptop is not responding when you press the power button, the keyboard backlight behaves incorrectly, your fan is running at high speed or your laptop is shutting down unexpectedly, a SMC Reset may be necessary.
- The first thing you can do is try to Restart your computer.
- If the problem still persists you can attempt a PRAM Reset. You can find instructions on how to perform a PRAM Reset Here.
- If none of these solutions remedy the problem you can attempt a SMC Reset (System Management Controller).
The SMC is responsible for functions in the Mac such as:
- Battery management
- Thermal management
- Ambient light sensing
- Battery status indicator light
- Keyboard back lighting and more.
- In order to do this, follow the steps below:
- Shutdown your computer.
- Connect your Magsafe Power Adapter to your computer.
- On the MacBook keyboard hold down the Shift+Control+Option keys and the Power Button at the same time.
- Release all the keys at the same time - the light on the Magsafe Power Adapter may change colour briefly to indicate that the SMC Reset was successful.
- Boot your MacBook as per usual.
If the problem still persists, you may need to bring your computer and your Magsafe Power Adapter to the Tech Centre to get it fixed.