Q. How do I issue books from the Scotch Senior Library to staff and students in the Junior Middle Library? [ILT]
Some fiction and non-fiction books in the Senior Library are inappropriate for Primary School students (ie. Walking Dead graphic novels, detailed war books, etc.). The ‘Item Belongs at Another Branch’ message only pops up if it’s returned before it is issued, and it only shows up if the staff member signed into Oliver has their borrower campus set to JML.
As we frequently loan books to Middle School staff and students, the following procedure needs to be followed to prevent this happening:
- SS item is issued to staff/student in Oliver .
- Click on the item’s Barcode in the Issues screen to be taken to the copy details.
- Click Edit.
- Scroll down to the Alert Message field and enter “This is a Senior Library book” in the text box.
- Click the Save button.
Issuing should primarily be carried out by Kate in the SS (or Kendra/Emma in the JML if books are collected after hours) as it involves using Global Changes.
- SS items are issued to staff/student in Oliver .
- Open the Management module, select Cataloguing and then select Copies.
- From the right-hand, drop-down Copies menu, select Multi-Barcode Search.
- Scan the book barcodes and click Search.
- From the right-hand, drop-down Copies menu, select Global Change.
- Click Continue.
- Select Field = alertMessage
- From Value = No Current Value
- To Value = Specified Value and enter “This is a Senior Library book” in the text box
- Press the Play button to save.
After that, any time the item is issued or returned you will see the following (only ever click the green tick):
When the items are returned to the Senior Library, they are to be handed directly to Kate, who will then remove the alert messages.