Why is my Outlook 2011 giving an error message when opening?
You may have tried to access your Outlook application from your Desktop by copying the application onto it (by clicking and dragging). All Microsoft applications have to be saved in the correct Microsoft Office folder. Launching them from other locations (such as the Desktop) will 'break' them, so they will not work.
You may see an error message like this:
To resolve the issue:
- Move the Outlook application back into the Microsoft Office folder in your Applications folder. You can do this by dragging and dropping it into the folder. It is very important that you DO NOT DELETE it.
- To make Outlook accessible from the desktop, Right Click (Command + Click) on the Outlook icon and select Make Alias.
- Copy the new Outlook Alias onto your Desktop.
- You will now be able to open Outlook from your Desktop via the Alias.
- Please note that PLC and Scotch no longer support Office 2011. Office 2016 is now available for download through Self Service . Instructions on how to do this can be found here.