How do I clear space on my Hard Drive?
If your computer is alerting you that there is no space left on the disk drive when you are trying to open/save a document, you may have to free up some space on your device. There are some easy ways to fix this problem;
- To check whether your drive has space, click Once on the Macintosh HD icon.
- Press Command + I on the keyboard whilst Macintosh HD is highlighted. This window will appear. Firstly, check whether your hard drive is almost or completely full. If the available space is less than 10% of the capacity then you need to delete some files or move them to another hard drive.
- If you have more than 10% of your capacity available and the message is still appearing, it may be due to the size of the item you are working on. For example, a Photoshop or Premiere project file is usually a large file and may take up more than 10% of the capacity. If this is the case; consider storing and running these project files on an external hard drive. This same method can be applied to other applications such as iMovie or GarageBand .
- Consider saving any other documents or project files on an External Hard Drive (USB) and restart the computer.
- If the message still appears after restarting your computer then you will have to bring your computer down to 1Degree.
Tips for clearing disk space:
- Emptying the Trash and Restarting the Computer.
- Deleting the contents of the folders /Library/Caches and /Library/Saved Application State (follow these steps).
- To delete the contents of /Library/Caches and /Library/Saved Application State, Click Go, then Recent Folders, then Library.
If Library does not appear from Recent Folders, under Go click Go To Folder. This will oepn a small window. Copy and paste ~/Library/ into the window and click enter.
- Delete the contents of /Library/Caches and /Library/Saved Application State
- Delete un-needed items - usually the most common locations for large files will be your Downloads, Movies and Pictures folders. If you have trouble identifying what to delete, there is a program on Self Service called GrandPerspectivethat can help you easily spot which files and folders are taking up the most space. It uses a tree map where each file is visually represented as a rectangle proportional to the amount of space it is taking up. Visit this FAQ for more information on GrandPerspective