How do I make videos smaller?
HandBrake is a open source tool for converting video from nearly any format to a selection of modern, widely supported codecs. You can choose to export into a smaller frame size, allowing your file to take up much less space. Follow these steps to export your video with the most optimal settings:
- You can download the application from Self Service .
- Open HandBrake and you should be prompted to Select the clip you want to convert. Once you have selected your clip, click Open. If you do not get prompted, you will need to click the Source button in the Top Left Corner.
- Click on the Picture Settings menu at the top of the window, then select your desired Frame Size. 1080p = (h)1080 x (w) 1920 and 720p = (h)720 x (w)1280.
- You can also select your Output Format. In most cases, a MP4 file format is optimal.
- Finally, you can select the output Video Codec. The H.264 format is the most common codec, however more options are available.
- When you are ready to export, select your export Destination by clicking the Browse... button.
- When you are ready, click Start.
- You should see a Progress Bar appear down the bottom.
- Once the export is complete, you will get a confirmation message.