Q. What is Edmodo?
Edmodo is an educational website that takes the ideas of a social network and refines them and makes it appropriate for a classroom. Using Edmodo , students and teachers can reach out to one another and connect by sharing ideas, problems, and helpful tips. Edmodo is primarily a tool for within-class communication, but it also provides several ways for teachers to connect with other teachers.
Why use Edmodo ?
- Build an online learning conversation with your class about your subject.
- Edmodo provides simple ways to share files and communicate online.
- It is available of a wide range of devices.
- Encourage a peer-learning and peer-support environment – both in the classroom and online.
- Students enjoy using Edmodo .
Edmodo security features – why it’s not like Facebook
Edmodo explicitly deals with school and teacher concerns about social networking for students in the following ways:
- Each Edmodo class group is managed and controlled by the teacher.
- Students need an access code to join the class. If a student shares the code outside the class, the teacher can change it, without affecting students already joined in the group.
- Students can only communicate to the whole class or to the teacher – private messages between students are not possible.
- Anonymous posting is not possible.
- Teachers can delete posts.
- If schools upgrade (free) to the institutional features, the school can audit all teacher and student activity.
- Parental access to their children’s posts and to the teacher is an optional feature.