How do I erase my external Hard Drive?
If your Hard Drive is having issues, won't mount, or has corrupt files, you may need to erase it through Disk Utility .
- Plug in the Hard Drive to your computer.
- The Hard Drive should then mount onto your desktop.
- Once the Hard Drive has mounted, open Disk Utility . Disk Utility is located in the Utilities subfolder in Applications .
- In the Disk Utility window, select the Hard Drive by Name (e.g. Passport). In the top Menu select the Erase tab. Ensure that the Format is Mac OS Extended (Journaled), You can also Rename your Hard Drive . Then select Erase in the bottom right had corner.
- Disk Utility will then ask you if you Are You Sure you Want to Erase the Partition "Name"? if you are certain you have selected the correct erase settings, select Erase.
- The Disk Utility window will remain open and the Progress Bar will be shown in the bottom right hand corner, the time that the Hard Drive will take to erase depends on the amount of information is stored on the drive.